Monday, April 9, 2012

The long awaited Pictures of Prague

Here they are!  This is the first day we were in Prague.  We had a wonderful tour guide, named Daniel, who gave us lots of wonderful details about everything.  Unfortunately, all I had was my camera, and not a pencil and paper, so I did not take any notes.  What you will see in some of the captions are my own versions of his descriptions of the places we were at.  Enjoy!
This is the gate that separated the old city with the new city.
 It had some crazy Czech name that meant something like, "on the ditch" because of the ditch that used to exist along it. 
This is a memorial of Jan Hus. He was a reformer before reforming was even cool... If it ever was cool...
The spiky building in the background is not a castle.  I was deceived by its height.  It's actually a cathedral.  silly me!
We were standing in the courtyard that was used for buying and selling everything, from potatoes to slaves.  The market no longer exists.  Nathan's 14th great-grandfather would have sold shoes there.
Here's the wiki-link that explains these crosses.  They represent twenty-seven Christians who were hanged.
This clock has it all.  It can tell you the moon phase, what time it is, and  when it gongs the hour, the twelve disciples (not the real disciples, but statues of them, of course) come out of the doors on top!  We didn't stick around to hear or watch, but there was a large crowd planning on waiting for over half-an-hour to see it!

Another sweet man-hole cover!

We are approaching one of the oldest bridges in Europe. The Charles Bridge
Old Town Prague in the background.
There's a trumpeter playing out the hour.  

They wanted to pick it up, put it in their pocket, and take it home with them.  Haha

This is a building.  A very nice building.  What it is, I couldn't tell you right now.  But I'm sure it's something very important, or I wouldn't have taken a picture of it... Okay, maybe I would have...

A view of Prague.

The building might be Parliament.  I'm not sure.  But what is worth looking at, is these crazy statues of guys gruesomely attacking other guys.  I'd hate to see what happens if they ever break out of that cement!

This is that spiky cathedral I was telling you about!   Doesn't it remind you of Notre Dame?
It's called St. Vitus Cathedral.

Beautiful stained glass windows.


Something you don't really see in Northern Europe.  Mosaics on buildings.  Apparently it's been redone multiple times because it's just too cold and muggy for the tiles to stick. 
What's better than three Canadians?  Three Canadians with Bananas! 
Don't be scared, Chase, it's only a ham hock!

Caught up with the main event after the show!  Neuma!  He's actually a classmate of Nate's!

That was the first day of Prague!  Betcha can't wait for DAY 2 OF PRAGUE.  Me either!  When's it gonna be, I can't say. But sit tight, or relax, whichever you prefer.
Cheers!
-E

No comments:

Post a Comment