So Monday was the first day of my Perspectives course, and I think I will enjoy the course... at least what I could tell so far... I was REALLY late. Half an hour late, to be more precise- talk about uncomfortable entrances! So I actually left our house fifteen minutes early so that I could take Nate his dinner, and then I would have a little time to figure my way to the church building... Little did I know.... The church building was actually a lot closer to Nate's school than I thought so I rode my bike a mile north before I realized I went too far, so then I came all the way back to Nate's school (passed right by the church, not realizing it), and started over again. And I did that about five more times before I saw the building. Luckily, someone was leaving and opened the door for me, or I would never have gotten in. I was so relieved to get in! I was half-frozen from the ride, and so embarrassed for being late, but every one was very gracious and I quickly felt included. Now that I've been there, I'll never forget where it is again! I think that I'll make a lot of friends through this course, and I'll have a lot of insightful lectures and reading to think about and reflect on...
Tuesday, Nate and I were invited to a friend's house for dinner, and we had good 'ole fashion biscuits 'n' gravy. It was nice to be in a kitchen that had proper kitchen utensils! We only were slightly unsure of how to get there, and we were almost turned away from our friend's house, because the girl who answered the door misunderstood the name of the person we were meeting! We would've had to go all the way back to our house and recheck the directions and then awkwardly knocked again on the door!
Wednesday night I had plans to have dinner with some ladies from my Thursday Bible study. I knew it was going to be a longer bike ride so I left with plenty of time to have a comfortable ride and not a stressful one... Once again, I went too far, and had to turn around and come back. Thankfully, I had my iPad with me, and I had saved the map, so I was able to figure out where I needed to turn. As I was turning around, this man and his dog was walking towards me on the other side of the road, but his dog didn't have it's leash on, so it ran away from him and crossed the road to my side. The dog and the man barely missed getting hit by the cars! The dog took off and the man couldn't catch up to it, and so I was caught between them, when the dog turned around to come back to the man, it saw me and ran away again! The man couldn't catch him and all I could do was keep biking. When I finally made it to the turn I was supposed to make, the dog was sitting there, looking very distressed. I think it recognized me, but it wouldn't come near me, and just restlessly circled me. I was trying to talk to it, hoping that I could keep it there long enough so the man could catch up to it, but the dog took off again after a few minutes, crossing the road and I felt I was already too late to the dinner to go after it. What was I to do? I felt so bad for the dog owner, and to my hostess! I found the house in the end. I had a very nice time getting to know some of the ladies from the bible study group!
Needless to say, I know more about Oxford and the surrounding area as a result of getting lost, but I think Nate would prefer it if I didn't make a habit of it! If only google took night pictures of their buildings, I wouldn't have such a hard time finding buildings! And maybe if Oxford put their street signs in a visible place, I wouldn't miss my turns! What a crazy week so far. I have to say, despite cold weather, I am enjoying myself thoroughly. I am probably enjoying this experience more than Nate because I don't have to write papers! He'll have a hard time proving he's having more fun than me! Haha!
Erin
- Posted with the help of my iPad
Location:Oxford, UK
:) I almost got turned away at a church recently. They thought I meant to go to the church next door because of my skin color, and so were just trying to be helpful. They were very welcoming though when they realized that I wanted to go to their church. haha. awkward moments.
ReplyDelete